[luau] Proposed list guidelines

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 21 03:08:00 PDT 2002

R. Scott Belford wrote:

> I tried to address this with the following: "Responding to other
> members on the list to address personal issues is generally
> discouraged.  This is a gathering.  If you have an issue with a person
> at a gathering, you don't disrespect the peace of the others by
> publicizing your personal grievances.  This communication is best left
> off the list."
>
> scott

Again I feel that the term "generally discouraged" should be "strongly
discourage".   I would rewrite the above passage as follows:

"Responding in a derogatory or insulting manner to other members on the
list is assiduously forbidden.  Our mission is to promote fellowship
within the open source community; and in turn, share our fellowship with
the larger community of all computer users.  If you have a dislike, or
hatred toward a particular individual,  you don't disrupt the harmony of
the community by publicly insulting that individual and displaying your
personal grievances, hatreds, and prejudice. "

The reason I suggest this language as it addresses exactly what certain
members have been doing on this list.

Also, it might be good to add a passage about the importance of
maintaining a sense of humor as laughter is known to be cathartic.