[luau] vnc for UNIX/Linux?

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Oct 10 14:56:00 PDT 2002

DOUGS at oceanic.com wrote:
> Usually that means X Windows, but doesn't VNC work on Unix also?  Let me
> see, from a google search on 'VNC' found:
>
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
>
> that says:
>
> "It is truly platform-independent. A desktop running on a Linux machine
> may be displayed on a PC. Or a Solaris machine. Or any number of other
> architectures. The simplicity of the protocol makes it easy to port to
> new platforms. We have a Java viewer, which will run in any Java-capable
> browser. We have a Windows NT server, allowing you to view the desktop
> of a remote NT machine on any of these platforms using exactly the same
> viewer.  (The NT server is not multi-user - see the documentation). And
> other people have ported VNC to a wide variety of other platforms."

Yes, VNC works under UNIXes too.  It looks like another X server (not
X-Windows, that could violate M$'s trademark, and it's not really the
proper name).  This means that it doesn't act the same as under windows
(though the clients are interoperable).

If you want to get the functionality you get under windows, you'll want
to load up your VNC server, then load up a "real" X server with a full
screen VNC session (no window manager) to the VNC server (at localhost)
then do everything over that VNC session.  Kinda odd, but it does work.

--MonMotha