[luau] trouble with cdrw

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Wed Nov 27 09:26:01 PST 2002

"R. Scott Belford" wrote:

> This almost falls into the need help with linux category, but, we are
> having trouble getting past the BIOS.  Some time ago I received a bunch
> of great suggestions from people on the list about cd burner success in
> linux.  It was generally believed that an ATAPI compliant drive would
> work.  I recently bought a bunch of these for a school, and we are
> having the below mentioned trouble.  Before I return them, I have sent
> the following help request to Sony and Gigabyte.  I am going to bounce
> it through here as well in case any of you have run into this
> perplexer.  The band-aid approach of using a standard cdrom to install
> the OS has worked on these machines, so the kids are using linux, but,
> they need to have a drive that will boot.
>
> I have purchased 10 of these SONY CRX195 drives for use in a system
> based on the Gigabyte GA-7VKML motherboard.  When these cdrw's are
> connected to the motherboard on the primay or secondary channel as
> either master or slave, the motherboard hangs for a long time while
> posting.  The ide light for the motherboard stays on, and the door of
> the drive will not open or close.  After a while the machine continues
> to post, but if the drives have bootable media in them, the BIOS reads
> the cdrw's as small hard drives and offers the cylinders, heads, etc,
> info for the bootable media in the cdrw.  Gigabyte has an AUTO
> selection, a CD selection, and an OTHER selection in its BIOS for
> choosing ide devices.  I have tried each option.  When I choose OTHER,
> the BIOS reports that this is a non ATAPI device.  Any suggestions?  I
> notice that on the back of the drive that there are 6 pins to the far
> left that are not jumpered.  I have found that regular cdroms boot just
> fine.  These have two of the six pins to the back left side of the drive
> jumpered.
>
> This has happened with all 9 drives.  We did a build it yourself class,
> so we have many different builders with the same result.  It seems like
> hardware problems, but, 9 instances of the same issues suggests idiocy
> in the process.
>
> thanks for any suggestion you may have
>
> scott

############

Hi Scott,

I tried to install one of these Sony IDE drives from Comp USA on both
Mandrake and Red HAt and even though the help how-tos I found on the net
and were sent to me  by other people showed how to run them as  SCSI
using CD Roast neither would work. I encountered similar issues to the
ones you describe.

Then tried the CDRW on a FreeBSD box using CDRecord a really simple
command line function and it works flawlessly. It recorrds and plays
back Sound and Data with no problems. The bios and FreeBSD found the
CDRW and added it into the startup automagically. I know use it all the
time for burning CD's.

By the way have since received information from two people who are good
at installs that they were never able to get many CDRW's to work under
RedHat.

Call me if I can be of help. Number is below.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043