[luau] trouble with cdrw

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Nov 26 13:05:01 PST 2002

R. Scott Belford wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 12:13 PM, MonMotha wrote:
>
>> Be warned that I believe all Sony burners are shipping with DRM now.
>> So if you're an anti-DRM advocate, keep this in mind.
>

> I should have.  They are for a church/school, so I went with bargain.  A
> few dollars more would have bought a Lite-on and perhaps much less
> trouble.  Good advice.
>

>> You can try setting the BIOS to CD or NONE.  Basically all you need to
>> do is get the BIOS to shut up.  Linux does it's own probing of the bus
>> and can normally reliably detect anything you throw at it (assuming
>> it's not broken or non-standard, which these Sony drives may not be).
>

> If I had not bought these as the only drives, then perhaps I would.
> They need to be able to boot from these if they ever want to install
> another distro.  As it stands, I just can't boot from them.  I had
> thought about making boot floppies, but, I don't want these people to
> get overwhelmed.  I haven't tried to boot from one with a Bios setting
> of None.  I think I will.  Otherwise, these are likely heading towards
> an RMA.

Ah, yes, if the BIOS can't see them then it can't boot from them.  It's
possible that the Sony drives aren't ATAPI compatible (do they require
special drivers under windows for normal read access?).  If this is the
case, then Sony won't take them as they're not broken (at least not
physically, thought hey may be broken standards wise).

> thanks
>
> scott

--MonMotha