[luau] samba overhead/dynamic mount?

burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Nov 12 16:53:01 PST 2002

In linux, is there a way to have a (non-root) user's profile mount a volume at
logon and unmount it when the user logs out?

I have 20 users, each of whom needs access to 1 of 10 shared volumes. There
are about 15 other users who do not need to use the shared volumes at all. I
could just mount all 10 shared volumes on all 7 of my client irix boxes, but
I'm afraid that would bog down the network. (The shared disks are on windows
boxes, accessed via samba.)

Is there a lot of overhead associated with mounting a volume using samba?

Or would it all work out because, although there would always be 70 shared connections,
most of the time there would be no actual activity on more than a couple of
them?

Drastic Dave