[luau] samba overhead/dynamic mount?

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Nov 13 11:56:00 PST 2002

burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com wrote:
> In linux, is there a way to have a (non-root) user's profile mount a volume at
> logon and unmount it when the user logs out?

You can either use sudo or something like that (to provide a bit more
granularity), or put it in /etc/fstab with the "user" option.  The first
should allow a bit mroe control over who can mount what since the last
allows any user to mount/unmount (but only assuiming the mountpoint is
not busy and they can only mount it at the moutpouint you specify; file
modes and owners are still enforced of course).

> I have 20 users, each of whom needs access to 1 of 10 shared volumes. There
> are about 15 other users who do not need to use the shared volumes at all. I
> could just mount all 10 shared volumes on all 7 of my client irix boxes, but
> I'm afraid that would bog down the network. (The shared disks are on windows
> boxes, accessed via samba.)
>
> Is there a lot of overhead associated with mounting a volume using samba?

Yes, but only when they are in use.

> Or would it all work out because, although there would always be 70 shared connections,
> most of the time there would be no actual activity on more than a couple of
> them?

See above.  There's only activity during use for the most part (normal
SMB browse broadcasts, which are present anyway, aside).

> Drastic Dave

--MonMotha