[luau] Aloha all / Hat 7.3 / Drake 8.2

whenever whatever at whoever.net
Sun May 26 10:08:00 PDT 2002

I remember Mandrake was based on RH with a little change to the front end,
and the processor optimized. Is that the same or are they fork at one point?

On Sunday 26 May 2002 09:43 am, you wrote:
> I would like to suggest you download or install Mandrake 8.2 instead and
> be sure to set the security level in Mandrake to "high."
> Having experimented extensively with RedHat 7.3 and actual successfully
> used Mandrake 8.2 actually from beta 2; I can honestly attest to the
> fact that Mandrake will be a much better end user experience.

Yes, you are right at that, mainly just the 'end user' can tell the
different, but it's just the front end.

> Since Warren accuses me of making statements without supporting
> arguments, here are the facts:

I think this's an over statement, I was going to put you on my spam filter at
one point.

> Mandrake 8.2 will most likely be easier to install than RedHat 7.3

Haven't have any problem with both, both are easy compared to Slackware back
in the days or installing OpenBSD 1.x when you have to calculate partitation
sectors so they won't over lap.

> Mandrake 8.2 has a more functional Control Panel  than RedHat 7.3

want it on RH 7.3? add the MDK package to RH 7.3

> It's easier to set up a wheel mouse in Mandrake 7.3.

Never have a problem with that, Just a few line to edit on X configuration
file, don't tell me they have there own Xfree also.  btw, do you mean RH 7.3 ?

> Mandrake has a very nifty Windows style installer for auxiliary software.
>
> Based on my experience Mandrake 8.2 is far more stable than RedHat 7.3
> as RedHat 7.3 can at best only be described as bizarre.

I guess this's just your experience, the same experience that you have been
complaining  for the last few days.

> Mandrake has a wider choice of GUI's, specifically ICEwm, which is fast,
> stable,  fully configurable, and very user friendly once configured
> properly.

Anyone can add or remove any windows manager on any linux distr.  If you
think it's the same as M$ windows, can't help you there.

> KDE 3 (RedHat) is very nice looking but seems to exhibit instability
> unless the cause is actually something else, but it's hard to tell
> because  RedHat gives you very limited choice of GUI's and doesn't even
> include one of the very best.

KDE3 != Redhat, you don't like the WM, strip it and add something else.

> These are my personal opinions, if you disagree, post your reasons but
> don't counter my thoughts with arguments that I have poor attitude and
> so on..

The above are my personal opinions also and I don't pretend to know it all
either.