[luau] Reccomendations for backup routine/tools

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu May 23 19:18:00 PDT 2002

MonMotha,

	Right now, the script does a complete backup everytime you run it.
However, by copying the script to a new name, and then changing the tar
flags, you could do incremental backups on days when you don't need a full
backup.  These scripts could then be called by separate crontab entries.  For
example, you could do a full backup on Sunday nite with the full backup
script, and then incremental backups Monday thru Saturday with the other
script.  If your data changes more often than that, you could do full backups
M,W,F or whatever you think you need.  Just stick in a tape before you go to
bed and let the crontab do its thing.

	The idea for my script was inspired by the article in Chapter 10 of
Essential System Administration by Aeleen Frisch, and various articles on tar
in Unix Power Tools by Peek, O'Reilly, and Loukides (try chapter 20 for
instance).  Frisch's article discusses backup strategies pretty well, and i
highly recommend that read, it is one chapter full of goodies.  I also seem
to recall a recent article in Linux Journal about a novel use of a version
control software like CVS to do system backups.  I can't find it just yet,
perhaps someone else can point it out.

	BTW, I also have another script that I use to clean out the browser cache
before I backup my system -- no sense saving that stuff.  It only works for
Netscape right now, and as soon as I totally switch to Mozilla, I'll modify
that one because "ziller" puts the cache in a different spot than Netscape
4.X.

	I'll send the scripts to you separately.

Good luck,

Ben