[luau] WP, OpenOffice, Abiword, etc

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Wed May 8 13:50:19 PDT 2002

Warren Togami wrote:

> Alvin Murphy wrote:
>
>> Greetings everyone: thanks to everyone for the help I have been
>> receiving.  I am amazed at how active and helpful this group is and
>> now kicking myself for not having attended meetings. I have been
>> teaching myself Linux for the past year basically by  reading books
>> and trying things out but my knowledge is fairly thin. Thank you,
>> Warren for your comments on open office: I will try to install it
>> at/opt and see if I can get it working, that is if I can recover from
>> the mess I made last night by trying to upgrade to Mandrake 8.2; more
>> about that date or if I get time.
>>

> Be sure that you erase all exisitng directories having to do with your
> previous OpenOffice installation first.  Also remove .sversionrc
> (hidden dot file) from the directories.
>
>> Again, Warren, you said there may be a way to get around the
>> WordPerfect print driver by printing to cups. If you have any
>> specific suggestions, I would appreciate them; the print dialog
>> screen only offers three choices: disk, hp (the path to my printer on
>> SMB via lpr), and $PRINT.  I am fairly sure that the last option is
>> the way to go but I do not know how to make it work. When I try to
>> print to it, I get an error message. I cannot find any environment
>> variable on my system with that name; perhaps there needs to be an
>> export command with the correct path to the spooler or filter (not
>> that I would know how to do that). Perhaps I could bring my box to
>> the next meeting whenever that is and you could have a look.
>

> I myself have never tried it so I don't know, and I have no way of
> getting the WordPerfect 8 download edition.  Can anyone hook me up
> with a copy?  Is that even legal to do?
>

>> By the way, WordPerfect for Windows version 9 works very well inside
>> my Linux by using Win4Lin; I could just stay with that but I would
>> like to completely migrate to Linux.
>

> Can you test it in the various versions of Wine please?  I'd like to
> hear of any successes and/or failures in that.  There is Transgaming
> WineX (with some enhanced DCOM stuff that makes InstallShield work
> properly), CodeWeavers Wine, Lindows Wine, ReWind (X11 branch) and the
> WineHQ Wine (close to CodeWeavers version).
>

>> For me, Abiword has the most pleasant appearance, imports my files
>> fairly well, translates them over my lan as word documents, but I
>> really miss the quick- correct feature and a macro function.
>>
>> Star office and open office have the quick correct feature and macro
>> function but do not import WordPerfect files. Of course, there is a
>> work around by saving them as word files or .rtf, but that is humbug.
>> By the way, Josh Berkus, is working on WordPerfect filter and looking
>> for WordPerfect files to use. I will try to include his email address
>> in this note or another.
>

> Excellent.  Was Josh Berkus on the OpenOffice-Discuss mailing list?

Warren, Thanks again. I will try to reinstall OpenOffice, once I get my
box working again. I can "burn" you a copy of WP8 if you could send me
an address. In order to install it, you need a registration number which
I can also provide. It will not run the install script unless you have
some old libraries; I believe what you need is glibc5 and ld.so1 or
similar; if this is wrong, I will try to find them on my computer. They
are both available on the net, as I am sure you know.

I wish there were a way to back out of Mandrake 8.2, since it does not
work very well and Ximian does not work at all. Perhaps I am too
attached to my GUIs. Ah well, every screw up leads to more knowledge.

I will try out the various "wines"; thanks for the tip. It would be nice
to run it without having to invoke Win4Lin, although I must say it works
very well; windows even seems faster; not sure how that is possible.

Yes I did get in touch with Josh through the OpenOffice community. I
believe he is part of that "whole town converting to Linux" story, I
believe Key Largo, Fla. In any case his name is Josh Berkus, get him at
josh at agliodbs.com and he would appreciate getting WP files from anyone
willing to contribute as he works on the filter. It is nice to feel you
can contribute, even in this small way.  Thanks again. You are showing
admirable restraint in vfiew of one recent message. I suppose
frustration leads some to write things they later regret, or at least I
hope they regret. The xvoice community has a nice sign off, I believe it
is "ear oars".