[luau] WP, OpenOffice, Abiword, etc

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri May 10 03:16:05 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 10:50, Alvin Murphy wrote:
> Warren, Thanks again. I will try to reinstall OpenOffice, once I get my

I just now tried OpenOffice 1.0 on my fresh install of Red Hat 7.3.  It
seems every bit as good as StarOffice 6 aside from a few missing
features and fonts.  The other benefit of the StarOffice 6 RPM packages
is that they mostly automate the per-user setup necessary, something
that I have to script myself otherwise.

> box working again. I can "burn" you a copy of WP8 if you could send me
> an address. In order to install it, you need a registration number which
> I can also provide. It will not run the install script unless you have
> some old libraries; I believe what you need is glibc5 and ld.so1 or
> similar; if this is wrong, I will try to find them on my computer. They
> are both available on the net, as I am sure you know.

I hope glibc5 is still available in Red Hat 7.3 in one of the "compat"
packages.  I thought that was used back in Red Hat 5.x days... anyone
know for sure?

> I wish there were a way to back out of Mandrake 8.2, since it does not
> work very well and Ximian does not work at all. Perhaps I am too
> attached to my GUIs. Ah well, every screw up leads to more knowledge.

I'm pretty much given up on Ximian Gnome for now.  The shipped versions
of Gnome in both Mandrake and Red Hat are usually better in several
ways, especially when it becomes time to upgrade (less conflicts because
of the different way Ximian packages).

Despite this, I do support their noble effort in the Mono project in
reimplementing a fully open source .NET implementation.  Their work on
Gnome 2.0 is also invaluable.