[luau] WP, OpenOffice, Abiword, etc

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 8 21:08:29 PDT 2002

Alvin Murphy wrote:
> Greetings everyone: thanks to everyone for the help I have been
> receiving.  I am amazed at how active and helpful this group is and now
> kicking myself for not having attended meetings. I have been teaching
> myself Linux for the past year basically by  reading books and trying
> things out but my knowledge is fairly thin. Thank you, Warren for your
> comments on open office: I will try to install it at/opt and see if I
> can get it working, that is if I can recover from the mess I made last
> night by trying to upgrade to Mandrake 8.2; more about that date or if I
> get time.

Be sure that you erase all exisitng directories having to do with your
previous OpenOffice installation first.  Also remove .sversionrc (hidden
dot file) from the directories.

> Again, Warren, you said there may be a way to get around the WordPerfect
> print driver by printing to cups. If you have any specific suggestions,
> I would appreciate them; the print dialog screen only offers three
> choices: disk, hp (the path to my printer on SMB via lpr), and $PRINT.
> I am fairly sure that the last option is the way to go but I do not know
> how to make it work. When I try to print to it, I get an error message.
> I cannot find any environment variable on my system with that name;
> perhaps there needs to be an export command with the correct path to the
> spooler or filter (not that I would know how to do that). Perhaps I
> could bring my box to the next meeting whenever that is and you could
> have a look.

I myself have never tried it so I don't know, and I have no way of
getting the WordPerfect 8 download edition.  Can anyone hook me up with
a copy?  Is that even legal to do?

> By the way, WordPerfect for Windows version 9 works very well inside my
> Linux by using Win4Lin; I could just stay with that but I would like to
> completely migrate to Linux.

Can you test it in the various versions of Wine please?  I'd like to
hear of any successes and/or failures in that.  There is Transgaming
WineX (with some enhanced DCOM stuff that makes InstallShield work
properly), CodeWeavers Wine, Lindows Wine, ReWind (X11 branch) and the
WineHQ Wine (close to CodeWeavers version).

> For me, Abiword has the most pleasant appearance, imports my files
> fairly well, translates them over my lan as word documents, but I
> really miss the quick- correct feature and a macro function.
>
> Star office and open office have the quick correct feature and macro
> function but do not import WordPerfect files. Of course, there is a work
> around by saving them as word files or .rtf, but that is humbug. By the
> way, Josh Berkus, is working on WordPerfect filter and looking for
> WordPerfect files to use. I will try to include his email address in
> this note or another.

Excellent.  Was Josh Berkus on the OpenOffice-Discuss mailing list?