[luau] Warrren re: OpenOffice

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue May 7 22:36:00 PDT 2002

Alvin Murphy wrote:
> Warren, Somehow I messed up and message did not make it; I have a lot to
> learn. Anyway, will answer the questions you posed.
>
> What operating system and version?  Running Mandrake 8.1 using primarily
> Gnome and Ximian.
>
> Which version of OpenOffice did you download? Version 1.0, the just
> released
> version. When I installed, rather than following the suggested location
> "/opt", I let the install program choose and it chose /root. It seems
> now Ihave someting in /root but also in /home/alvin. Confusing. Also in the
> /home/alvin/OpenOffice.org1.0 location there seem to be only three
> executable files: "setup", "spadmin", and "soffice". Think there should be
> "swriter" and others. Ximian does not show it in "Programs"; Gnome does
> but nothing happens when selecting it. Hope this helps. Thanks for
> responding.

You installed it as "root" user probably without the "/net" option,
meaning it will work only for that user.  Also, non-root users don't
have access to stuff in /root.  You should really install it into /opt
and be sure to use the "/net" option.  Then all users can run the setup
program and do a "workstation install", after which it works great.

> P.S. Since this message, I downloaded StarOffice 6 from Mandrake and it
> seems to be working but sloooow, and disappointed there is no WP import
> filter. Please do no hesitate to counsel me if I am not following the

Yes the lack of WP is one of the greatest complaints at the moment.
Hmm... I just noticed that AbiWord has an importer for WordPerfect
6/7/8.  I don't know how good it is, so can someone please give it a try
and let us know?

Also could someone please send me (DIRECTLY) a few sample WordPerfect
documents so I can test it?

> processor dilemma. WP8 for Lin works but it is so wierd about printers;
> if I could find a way to get around the WP printer drivers so that I
> could print, at work, to various windows printers (that is what I do at
> home, but with limited success in WP), and if I could reliably save my
> WP files over the LAN as Word files (so that others can use and print
> them), I would probably stay with WP8. Anyway, thanks

Unfortunately WP on Linux is a dead end.  Corel bet the farm on Linux a
few years ago and lost nearly all of their money.  Too much, too soon.
After a hefty Microsoft "investment", Corel completely dropped all of
their Linux projects.  As a result Corel Linux OS was sold to another
company and is now marketed as Xandros, and they have completely dropped
support for WordPerfect for Linux.  There is no future there, no new
drivers, no bug fixes.  Ever...