[luau] Warrren re: OpenOffice

James A. Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue May 7 22:56:16 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 19:36, Warren Togami wrote:

> Yes the lack of WP is one of the greatest complaints at the moment.
> Hmm... I just noticed that AbiWord has an importer for WordPerfect
> 6/7/8.  I don't know how good it is, so can someone please give it a try
> and let us know?

The most recent versions of AbiWord do have a WordPerfect import filter,
which seems to work about 50% of the time, for me. YMMV. Seems to work
well when it doesn't exit with errors. Not sure if it is AbiWord or my
files!

> > processor dilemma. WP8 for Lin works but it is so wierd about printers;
> > if I could find a way to get around the WP printer drivers so that I
> > could print, at work, to various windows printers (that is what I do at
> > home, but with limited success in WP), and if I could reliably save my
> > WP files over the LAN as Word files (so that others can use and print
> > them), I would probably stay with WP8. Anyway, thanks

Funny, I have been able to get the WP drivers working even when the
native linux print filters won't. Hmmmm.

> Unfortunately WP on Linux is a dead end.  Corel bet the farm on Linux a
> few years ago and lost nearly all of their money.  Too much, too soon.
> After a hefty Microsoft "investment", Corel completely dropped all of
> their Linux projects.  As a result Corel Linux OS was sold to another
> company and is now marketed as Xandros, and they have completely dropped
> support for WordPerfect for Linux.  There is no future there, no new
> drivers, no bug fixes.  Ever...

I check on the Corel WP8 for Linux newsgroup on occasion, and all the
users are waiting for Corel to fix the blueberry import filters, but
without much hope. Sometimes being a loyal user of proprietary software
has its price. I did email Corel support a little while back, and was
told to keep checking the web site for a patch. You're right, Warren,
I'm afraid.
--
*  James (Andy) Stroble

"I really need to get some good, non-stupid news from our government
soon or i will cry."
by rhyax  on Kuro5hin, on Sun Jan 27th, 2002 at 02:03:14 PM EST