[luau] playing with email some more

Patrick Kennedy patrickjkennedy at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 31 17:28:29 PST 2002

Hello all -

Here's my output from fetchmail:

$ fetchmail
1 message for user at domain.net at postoffice.worldnet.att.net (1175 octets)
at
     postoffice.worldnet.att.net (1175 octets).
reading message 1 of 1 (1175 octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost
failed
fetchmail: can't raise the listener; falling back to /usr/bin/procmail -d
%T.
     flushed.

Notice that (a) it works! and (b) it falls back to procmail.

Here's my question: why did the SMTP connection between ISP and localhost
fail?

Now, I know that fetchmail supports POP3, but the error here is SMTP.  And
that interests me a lot, since my sendmail (or smail, etc) configurations
don't work either.  When I type hostname, I get the hostname of my machine,
which I set in hosts with an IP of 127.0.0.1.  Would it help to dynamically
set this with a script of some sort?  Any example scripts?

My PPP connection gets dynamic info from the ISP server, but the hostname is
not overridden.  So how can I bind the hostname to the PPP0 IP?  Would that
help with the localhost failure issue, or is another issue responible here.

Any comments or ideas welcome.  Thanks.  Patrick.

Patrick Kennedy