[luau] more email info

Patrick Kennedy patrickjkennedy at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 31 21:30:51 PST 2002

Helo -  ;)

I tried to send email via SMAIL (SMTP). and my log at /var/spool/smail/log
says this:

03/31/2002 17:38:40: remote EHLO: invalid operand 'localhost': from:
hostname must contain a '.'.

This is reference to the fact that the mail server wants a name like
localhost.localdomain, rather than just localhost, which can be verified
with HELO/EHLO experiments by manually telneting to port 25.

Netscape via xWindow would be easier, I guess.  But my old S3 video card
does not work with xWindow.  In any case, I want to do cron stuff here.
Maybe an ethernet connection is way to go - and I think that's what I may
have to try soon - if I can afford it.  But I think the issue - again - is
the name resolution thing.    Maybe SMTP servers are compiled for BIND and
can't use /etc/hosts?

But if Netscape can do it, then there should be a way to do it at the prompt
to.
I don't need sendmail or smail - whatever works.  I tried to configure
.pinerc to use a remote smtp server (smtp-server= option), but that did not
work (apparently that only for PINE on the PC and should be blank for UNIX).
  Oh well.  Certainly learning from all this trying.

The issue is not fetching email - I can do that.  The question is, can any
one send email in the Redhat runlevel 3 mode?  Even if it is Ethernet
connection, what's the basic idea?  Do you use sendmail, smail, exim, qmail,
or something more basic?  What I want is an smtp client, I guess, and not an
smtp server.  Is there an smtp client for runlevel 3?

Domo.  Patrick.