[luau] sendmail via ppp

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Mar 30 15:59:27 PST 2002

Please consider using your ISP's SMTP server for outgoing mail... mainly for
two reasons.

1. Security: You shouldn't be running Sendmail unless you really know what
you are doing.  You could inadvertently make yourself an open relay...
although if you setup properly you could allow relaying for only your local
machines and disallow port 25 connections from the Internet... that would be
fine.
2. Many other mail servers wont allow SMTP connections directly from ranges
of known dial-up, DSL and cable modem segments because they are usually a
large source of spam.  You may have a lot of rejected outgoing mail if you
send directly from your IP address rather than your ISP's SMTP server.