[luau] Dvorak: Is Linux your Next OS?

kilauea kilauea at hawaiian.net
Tue Mar 19 01:56:58 PST 2002

Good article, mahalo's to Warren for the reference.

I disagree with the contention that Gimp is a wimp. I don't use
Photosnob but I like Gimp. Of course Dvorak doesn't say just exactly why
Photosnob is better. I wonder if this is a "softer fuzzier" version of
the old M$ 'unquestionably superior' FUD. Photosnob will never be able
to top Gimp on that important little feature commonly referred to as
price.

Speaking of the 'unquestionably superior' FUD ... I also disagree with
the contention that windoze is easier to use than Linux. It really
depends on the individual user; windoze is only easier to use if you
don't mind rebooting your system frequently, trying to remember and
restore everything since your last save (assuming that the windoze file
system didn't meltdown also). However, Linux is easier to use if you
know how to put a CD into a drive. Linux is also easier for those who
can read.

I still say that August Dvorak (the "cultist" keyboard) was much sharper
John. sounds like John would like to say he predicted early on that
Linux would win. This tells me more than anything else in the article:
He thinks that there is high enough probability that Linux will displace
M$ that he will take a chance on angering the terrible cannibal giant,
just so he can say "See, I said this might happen!"

I surely hope that my "cultist" ramblings haven't scarred off any nice
normal people who were thinking of trying Linux. After all, I was this
way before I ran Linux for the first time ;)