[luau] Java Project

Patrick Kennedy patrickjkennedy at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 11:01:54 PST 2002

Hi all -

I want to do some Java programming again.  Unfortunately, finances are
limited for me.  So, I can't really set up a web server with a board band
connection to the Internet now.

But I have any idea.  Maybe someone from the Linux group would like to
provide me access to a Linux box (FTP at a bare minimum)?  Perhaps there is
someone out there that wishes to get more into Java too, and I could help
them learn more about Java technology, and share my source code.

Then I could work on some ideas I have.  I would like to set up a Linux
server with Tomcat, which Sun describes as a "...free, open-source
implementation of Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages
technologies....(http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/tomcat/)"  And I want to
develop a couple of ideas, such as writing Java programs that can post
directly to a web page HTML form, which could then be used as a login
program (lots of interesting ideas here, think about it).

Here's what I have in mind: there is an http client library called
HTTPClient.  HTTPClient Version 0.3-3 can be retrieved from

http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/

According to the documentation, "It implements most of the relevant parts of
HTTP/1.1, and automatically handles things like redirections, authorization,
and cookies."  You can also patch it for for HTTPS (very easy to do).  Using
JDK 1.1.8, or perferrably Java 2 SDK 1.1.x with HTTPClient patched for
HTTPS, I want to develop Java programs that can do various HTTP functions.

For example, I already wrote a program that, when a user logs into the
applet (username/password fields provided on the applet) with a valid login,
that monthly schedules could be displayed in a Java frame window.  This is
cool, since it hides the URL of the source schedules displayed in a frame,
and only a valid login pulls up the schedules.

This program worked perfectly.  But the server which hosts my code is not
supportive of my Java projects, and I need a more friendly, collaborative
environment in which to develop.  Any one can help?  Please feel free to
suggest ideas or options.

Patrick.