[luau] Lost my Desktop

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Mar 12 12:56:07 PST 2002

>Ray -- I'm not very clever, but when I lost my desktop the only thing to
>show up was a blue screen and a mouse pointer.

Oh so you lost more than your desktop then :-)  I think Ralph only lost
his desktop icons (but still
had his panel etc).

>Clicking the mouse buttons brought up the mapped menus and I was able to do things, which extended only to closing the Gnome desktop and logging in to use the KDE.

Interesting.. if the mapped menus come up, then Sawfish is loading.
 What happens if you use the menus to
get a terminal window and then type

panel & disown & exit ?

The panel is the bar that normally comes up on the lower part of the
screen.  It has the foot menu, the task list,
the pager, and clock, etc...  & disown means, make the panel a
background process and detach from the
controlling tty.  & exit means close the terminal window.

>  Well I ramble, what is the nautilus and how do you disown with it?  I'm a
>bit lost...

Nautilus is the desktop icons and file manager.