[luau] Open source for Mac OS X?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jun 24 19:55:01 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 19:15, Robert Green wrote:
> My wife is getting one of the new Sony PDA's, and we need to upgrade
> her Mac to either OS 9 or OS X.
>
> I was wondering if there is a significant advantage in terms of
> getting more Open Source software for OS X like there are for other
> flavors of Linux/Unix? Otherwise ismight be tempting to get OS 9 and
> installing Linux for using Open Source that way....
>
> thanks for your insights...
> Rob

OS X itself is a fairly stable Unix system, capable of running many
existing X, GTK, Gnome, qt or KDE programs with only a recompile.  This
in the long run may be your best choice.

Linux for PowerPC (probably Mandrake 8.2) would be nice too, because you
can run OS 9 in a Window at 99% performance using Mac-on-Linux.  You get
greater performance and compatibility with some open source software in
Linux PowerPC than OS X, while keeping OS 9 compatibility.

Your choice.