[luau] bootable raid and the MBR

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Mon Jun 24 19:16:00 PDT 2002

I haev 512MB of physical ram and 192MB of swap on my desktop (from back
when I had 64MB of ram...this hdd has traveled systems...) and it does
fine.  The VM swaps out stuff that hasn't been touched in ages and uses
what it can for an FS cache (which of course gets purged if anything
needs the ram).

Core files (ram dumps) are written as files in the filesystem, not to
swap, so this shouldn't be an issue.

The older VMs didn't get along very happily without somewhere to swap to
  (in fact, I read where ifyou were on a system with no HDD you were
supposed to make a ramdisk and set it up as swap...), but the newer ones
seem to do just fine with ZERO swap.

Besides, RAM is cheap these days, swap space is now just a place to
store sleeping processes and when you need to do something your system
isn't designed to do.  Swap used to be a much bigger deal back when RAM
cost 10s or 100s of dollars per megabyte, but now it's more of a
non-issue in my experience (note I haven't made any "big box production
servers", but you want to avoid swapping on those thigns at all cost...).

--MonMotha