[luau] xterm background in icewm

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jun 4 04:12:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Ableyev" <charon at netzero.net>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 3:35 AM
Subject: Re: [luau] xterm background in icewm

> Joe,
> Gnome Terminal has nothing to do with icewm. The only way he could have it
is if he has gnome installed.
> Also, I believe (not sure though) that if you're running icewm NOT on top
of gnome and use gnome terminal it takes a lot more memory
> and time to load because it has to load gnome libs. Point here being that
if Daniel isn't using gnome he shouldn't run gnome
> terminal. He could use xterm or rxvt instead.

IIRC, in most distributions it works fine to install only gnome-libs and
leave out most of the rest of the Gnome packages.  This allows you to use
pure KDE or icewm to still run Gnome applications without any problems but
without the bloat of Gnome packages (if you happen to dislike Gnome, I don't
mind it.)

It is true that loading gnome-terminal in icewm is rather slow compared to
xterm or rxvt, but Gnome itself is written in C, making it rather quick
compared to the pure C++ of KDE.  Linux poorly handles of C++ linking,
making it rather slow to run any C++ application like KDE or StarOffice
compared to any C program of comparable size.

On a related note, does anyone know if XFCE makes use of gnome-libs somehow?
I vaguely remember something like that.