[luau] RE: LUAU digest, Vol 1 #300 - 14 msgs

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri Jul 26 18:00:00 PDT 2002

Steven Tomlinson wrote:
> Aloha Al,
> I've never met you either, feel free to call anytime.
> Not looking to start a war, sorry if I was stepping on your "territory".
> You offered a solution to a problem so I did too. Of course everyone knows
> about the RoadRunner & Verizon DSL monopolies since they have millions of
> dollars to spend on marketing. But most people do not know about the unique
> services and willingness to accomodate special requests available from
> smaller ISPs such as yours and mine.

Agreed.  Smaller ISPs can be lifesavers in many situations.  I know an
ISP around my area that can do $400/m T1s (don't ask me how, I thought
the phone company alone cost more than that), but they don't do
fractionals.  If I want a frac T1 (to compete with the RR business class
that's woefully overpriced), I have to use another company that costs
more, but does fractionals (at still less than the $400 full).  Then
there's all the local DSL providers that no one's heard of.  I even have
requests to find a good dialup provider on occasion.  Smaller ISPs are
great when money is a concern.

> Sorry if I offended anyone else by announcing the availablity of our service
> as a possible solution to the problem being discussed.

The more people know of, the better.  Knowledge of competitive services
spurs competition and overall gives the consumer choice, which is good.
  Basically, choice (of operating system) is what this whole list is about.

> Mahalo,
> Steven Tomlinson

--MonMotha

P.S. When replying to a digest, it's customary to delete the portions
you're not replying to.  This saves disk space on the archive and
download time for members of the list.  Not complaining or anything,
just future information.