[luau] Re: Configuring Router

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Jul 24 23:01:01 PDT 2002

Dustin Cross wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> I just set-up a business account with RR and we are getting ~3.7Mb down
> ~1Mb up.  The installer said the system was capped at 4Mb.  That costs $199
> per month and comes with 5 static IPs and we can have servers.

That's a helluva lot cheaper than it is here.  That much here will get
you 512/512 and 2 static IPs I believe.

> An OC-12 is 622Mb per sec.  An OC-3 is 155Mb/sec.  When I was at Level3
> Communications they were testing OC-192s working with Cisco to get OC-768.
> An OC-1 would be 53Mb, but we start at OC-3.  The bandwidth is out there.

You're right, I confused the OC-3 with the OC-12.  Need to learn my OC
carrier speeds better.  Either way, the bandwidth is tehre, but not cheap.

> I have heard rumors about RR and other cable companies shutting down users,
> but have not experienced it myself.  I did have some friends in San Diego
> kicked off @home for running servers.  And other friends who lost incomming
> port 80 from @home when NIMDA was big.  I don't want to gamble with having
> my mail server down so I use DSL and a provider who doesn't care.  I do
> miss the speed I gave up in the switch though.

The only time I've actually seen RR shut someone down was for uncapping
their modem.  @home was much more restrictive than RR.

> Dusty

--MonMotha