[luau] Re: Configuring Router

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jul 24 21:55:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Strode" <halfline at hawaii.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 1:15 AM
Subject: Re: [luau] Re: Configuring Router

> >1. Contact you for an explaination.  The fact your downloading a lot of
> >    graphics files doesnt cut it anymore because they know...
> >
> I've never been contacted and i've been doing it for years.

Ditto.

> >2. Cutdown your bandwidth to a miserable point where you have to
> >     discontinue running a server. I know this from experience with
> >     just trying to setup a W2K Adv FTP server for practice only.
> >
> I routinely get between 600k/sec-1.1Mb/sec from videl and other fast
sites,
> or do you mean upstream?

My rates are more between 300KB/sec through 600KB/sec, but I am not
complaining.  That is still considerably faster than T1, with a 5% price tag
per month.

> >3. Cutoff your account completely and put you on a list of violators.
> >    You will have to use your wifes name and new address before
> >    you can reconnect to RR.  This news came from a FLEX guy.
> >
> As far as I can tell it isn't a violation.  I spent a couple hours one day
> reading through all the EULA's and FAQs and things on roadrunner sites

Ditto.  Read the policies here:
http://www.hawaii.rr.com/memberservices/policies.htm

I have again read through the three documents here, finding nothing
forbidding NAT.

This following paragraph from
http://help.twcable.com/html/twc_sub_agreement.html does officially disallow
websites.  However I have been told unofficially by an installer that as
long as you don't abuse your bandwidth and attract attention, they don't
care.  Use common sense and you're fine.

5. Subscriber Conduct.

(a) The ISP Service as offered and provided under this Agreement is a
residential service offered for personal, non-commercial use only.
Subscriber will not resell or redistribute (whether for a fee or otherwise)
the ISP Service, or any portion thereof, or otherwise charge others to use
the ISP Service, or any portion thereof. Subscriber agrees not to use the
ISP Service for operation as an internet service provider, for the hosting
of websites (other than as expressly permitted as part of the ISP Service)
or for any enterprise purpose whether or not the enterprise is directed
toward making a profit.