[luau] Re: Configuring Router

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jul 24 21:16:01 PDT 2002

Dan George wrote:

>I dont know if anyone here on a RR cable modem has ever had their
>packet sampled by RR.  They check how much traffic your receiving and
>when they figure your setting up a server at home they do two things:
>1. Contact you for an explaination.  The fact your downloading a lot of
>    graphics files doesnt cut it anymore because they know...

I've never been contacted and i've been doing it for years.

>2. Cutdown your bandwidth to a miserable point where you have to
>     discontinue running a server. I know this from experience with
>     just trying to setup a W2K Adv FTP server for practice only.

I routinely get between 600k/sec-1.1Mb/sec from videl and other fast sites,
or do you mean upstream?

>3. Cutoff your account completely and put you on a list of violators.
>    You will have to use your wifes name and new address before
>    you can reconnect to RR.  This news came from a FLEX guy.

As far as I can tell it isn't a violation.  I spent a couple hours one day
reading through all the EULA's and FAQs and things on roadrunner sites.

The only thing I remember reading at all is they won't support you doing it.
They won't help you.

Maybe the flex guy was spreading fud?

--Ray