[luau] Re: Configuring Router

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Jul 24 22:08:00 PDT 2002

Warren Togami wrote:
>>>1. Contact you for an explaination.  The fact your downloading a lot of
>>>   graphics files doesnt cut it anymore because they know...
>>>

>>I've never been contacted and i've been doing it for years.
>

> Ditto.

I've had all sorts of servers up and down over the past year since I got
mine (this is in Indianapolis).  No problems whatsoever.

>>>2. Cutdown your bandwidth to a miserable point where you have to
>>>    discontinue running a server. I know this from experience with
>>>    just trying to setup a W2K Adv FTP server for practice only.
>>>

>>I routinely get between 600k/sec-1.1Mb/sec from videl and other fast
>
> sites,
>
>>or do you mean upstream?
>

> My rates are more between 300KB/sec through 600KB/sec, but I am not
> complaining.  That is still considerably faster than T1, with a 5% price tag
> per month.

I get rock solid 220kB/sec up, ~50kB/sec down, it's only gone up since I
got the line.

>>>3. Cutoff your account completely and put you on a list of violators.
>>>   You will have to use your wifes name and new address before
>>>   you can reconnect to RR.  This news came from a FLEX guy.
>>>

>>As far as I can tell it isn't a violation.  I spent a couple hours one day
>>reading through all the EULA's and FAQs and things on roadrunner sites
>

> Ditto.  Read the policies here:
> http://www.hawaii.rr.com/memberservices/policies.htm
>
> I have again read through the three documents here, finding nothing
> forbidding NAT.

Indy RR officially forbids NAT, but they'll sell you a Linksys router
right from their website, but they won't help you configure it.

> This following paragraph from
> http://help.twcable.com/html/twc_sub_agreement.html does officially disallow
> websites.  However I have been told unofficially by an installer that as
> long as you don't abuse your bandwidth and attract attention, they don't
> care.  Use common sense and you're fine.

Same thing I was told.  Don't piss them off, they won't piss you off.
The only problem is that they always have the ABILITY to do it under the
ToS if they want to.  If you are doign anything other than a small
personal thing I'd reccomend getting a business account.  The guy I
talked to here concurred.

> 5. Subscriber Conduct.
>
> (a) The ISP Service as offered and provided under this Agreement is a
> residential service offered for personal, non-commercial use only.
> Subscriber will not resell or redistribute (whether for a fee or otherwise)
> the ISP Service, or any portion thereof, or otherwise charge others to use
> the ISP Service, or any portion thereof. Subscriber agrees not to use the
> ISP Service for operation as an internet service provider, for the hosting
> of websites (other than as expressly permitted as part of the ISP Service)
> or for any enterprise purpose whether or not the enterprise is directed
> toward making a profit.

They can't sell you $50/m service and not say that.  See my other
lengthy post for the explaination.

--MonMotha