[luau] Linux: Twelve Steps to Desktop Dominance

Elizabeth Long lizlong at geek.com
Tue Jul 23 06:34:00 PDT 2002

http://www.linuxandmain.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=145

While I normally turn a cold shoulder to all those increasingly
arcane ways of dividing people into two groups we keep inventing,
there's one that I think holds the key to Linux's prospects for
success on the mainstream desktop.

1. Recognize that the mainstream desktop market is just as different
from the expert user desktop market as it is from the server
market.

2. Never forget that not all costs are measured in money, and
that the mainstreamers have much a different balance between
financial and non-financial costs than the rest of us.

3. Recognize that adding features to help mainstreamers doesn't
necessarily take away anything from the geeks.

4. Put a sign on the edge of your monitor, where you can see
it at all times, that says: "New isn't better, different isn't
better, only better is better."

the rest here:

http://www.linuxandmain.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=145