[luau] Red Hat vs. Mandrake vs. SuSE

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Thu Jul 11 16:40:01 PDT 2002

Carl Tucker wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 06:38:12PM -1000, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
>
> > I will greatly appreciate counter comments about my conclusion that
> > Mandrake is the best distro for desktops.
>
> I last used SuSE 7.1, which I really liked.  I've always hated
> RedHat.  Never tried Mandrake.
>
> Now I like FreeBSD, which isn't Linux at all (but very similar).
> As long as you're in an experimental mood, you might check that
> out as well.  All my machines are FreeBSD now.
>
> Available packages are even simpler to install and maintain with
> the FreeBSD ports system than the RPM system (IMO).  A list of
> ports to native FreeBSD can be found at
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
> Also, even if your favorite application doesn't have a FreeBSD
> ports, you can run in "Linux emulation" mode, so everything that
> works on the Linux machine will work with FreeBSD.
>
> Sorry for sounding like an advertisement, but I really am
> happy with it.
>
> --
> Carl Tucker
> cft at panix.com
> flestrin at worldnet.att.net
> tuckercl at phnsy.navy.mil

Aloha! Carl,

I didn't know there was another FreeBSD user on this list besides me.

I have five of the boxes. Including a laptop.
Funny to setup on some hardware, but very solid.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043