[luau] Red Hat vs. Mandrake vs. SuSE

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Jul 11 08:49:01 PDT 2002

Carl Tucker wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 06:38:12PM -1000, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
>

>>I will greatly appreciate counter comments about my conclusion that
>>Mandrake is the best distro for desktops.
>

> I last used SuSE 7.1, which I really liked.  I've always hated
> RedHat.  Never tried Mandrake.
>
> Now I like FreeBSD, which isn't Linux at all (but very similar).
> As long as you're in an experimental mood, you might check that
> out as well.  All my machines are FreeBSD now.
>
> Available packages are even simpler to install and maintain with
> the FreeBSD ports system than the RPM system (IMO).  A list of
> ports to native FreeBSD can be found at
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
> Also, even if your favorite application doesn't have a FreeBSD
> ports, you can run in "Linux emulation" mode, so everything that
> works on the Linux machine will work with FreeBSD.

If you like the ports system, but still prefer the Linux kernel, I
believe Gentoo has packaging based on BSD ports.  Of course, like
FreeBSD, it's definately not a newbie oriented thing.  Also, if you like
BSDs, there are definately other BSDs than FreeBSD.  I personally prefer
the "lightness" of NetBSD or OpenBSD.  I had a FreeBSD box for a while
but blew it away for OpenBSD.

--MonMotha