[luau] Red Hat vs. Mandrake vs. SuSE

Carl Tucker cft at panix.com
Wed Jul 10 20:39:00 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 06:38:12PM -1000, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:

> I will greatly appreciate counter comments about my conclusion that
> Mandrake is the best distro for desktops.

I last used SuSE 7.1, which I really liked.  I've always hated
RedHat.  Never tried Mandrake.

Now I like FreeBSD, which isn't Linux at all (but very similar).
As long as you're in an experimental mood, you might check that
out as well.  All my machines are FreeBSD now.

Available packages are even simpler to install and maintain with
the FreeBSD ports system than the RPM system (IMO).  A list of
ports to native FreeBSD can be found at
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
Also, even if your favorite application doesn't have a FreeBSD
ports, you can run in "Linux emulation" mode, so everything that
works on the Linux machine will work with FreeBSD.

Sorry for sounding like an advertisement, but I really am
happy with it.

--
Carl Tucker
cft at panix.com