[luau] Underclocking / Aluminum cases

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Jul 4 13:09:00 PDT 2002

It is difficult to do without ANY case fans (just the PSU alone will
cause trouble usually).  However, you can do soemthing like what the
imac does.  The CRT from the monitor produces lots of heat and is placed
above the motherboard, PSU, etc.  This creates a convection current
which sucks the heat up the CRT where it rises out the top.
Unfortunately, designs like this require quite a bit of engineering and
are probably beyond the capacity of msot people without a decent amount
of experience in thermodynamics (I know I probably couldn't pull it off...)

The VIA C3 seems like an option, or you can see if you can find
Transmeta Crusoes in a desktop package.  I'm pretty sure the C3 can be
run fanless assuming the ambient temp is kept cool enough (is the room
well air conditioned?), and Transmetas are designed with heat production
(and power draw as a result) as one of their core design principles.

--MonMotha