[luau] Underclocking / Aluminum vs. Copper

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 3 01:37:01 PDT 2002

I think it "boils" down to cost.  I solid copper heat sink probably is
more efficient than aluminum, but would cost a lot more, weigh more, and
perhaps would be more difficult to manufacture.  Usually manufacturers
choose the cheapest solution that is adequate for the job.  Volkswagen
probably uses an aluminum cored radiator with plastic tanks not because
it's better, but because it's cheaper.  Of course they could argue that
it is lighter and thus enables the car to achieve better gas mileage.