[luau] Underclocking / Aluminum vs. Copper

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Jul 3 10:12:00 PDT 2002

Joe Linux wrote:
> I think it "boils" down to cost.  I solid copper heat sink probably is
> more efficient than aluminum, but would cost a lot more, weigh more, and
> perhaps would be more difficult to manufacture.  Usually manufacturers
> choose the cheapest solution that is adequate for the job.  Volkswagen
> probably uses an aluminum cored radiator with plastic tanks not because
> it's better, but because it's cheaper.  Of course they could argue that
> it is lighter and thus enables the car to achieve better gas mileage.

There are "standard" solid copper heatsinks.  ThermalTake makes the
Volcano 7+, which is solid copper AND has a variable speed fan (the
Volcano 7 has an auto speed control while the 7+ doesn't though,
odd...).  Someone posted a link to the rather odd heatsink at ThinkGeek
that appeared to be all copper.

I do agree that solid copper is probably more expensive, but those costs
are just passed on to the consumer.  If you're willing to pay more, you
get more.  That's usually how the system works.

--MonMotha