Odd Motherboard

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 24 21:29:07 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "R. Scott Belford" <sctinc at mac.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 5:03 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: Odd Motherboard

> > I'd hate to start another flamefest, but are you asserting that the Tyan
> > dual Athlon motherboards are not reliable?
>
> Not at all.  Not even close.  I think it's safe to say that provided these
> motherboards meet the 64-bit pci requirements, they would offer superior
> performance for the price.  I mentioned twice that I thought that AMD
based
> products are better.  I share your fervor for what AMD does in spite of
> Intel's oppressive behaviours.
>
> The key phrase I was responding to was that his boss wants to use the
> SuperMicro.  Enter the political equation and the fact that for what they
are
> likely to be serving (I don't actually know), sticking one's neck out
against
> what the boss wants may involve an investment in political capital best
saved
> for later.  This of course is a thread totally irrelevant to Jeff's quest
for
> experience and feedback with AMD and Intel mboards meeting his partially
> explicated specifications.
>
> I should make myself clear that AMD rules intel in the quest for dominance
of
> man's soul.  I like AMD.  I like TYAN.  They are very very good.  Where
are
> you implementing the dual Athlon board?  I'm sure it's a screamer.
>
> scott

Ah sorry, I understand where you are coming from and I am totally in
agreement.  I currently don't own Tyan Dual Athlon setups myself, but we are
running two of those motherboards in powering AMDMB.COM with Red Hat Linux,
Apache and MySQL.  Ever since we upgraded to that setup we were able to
survive a Slashdot DDoS attack twice, when our "puny" single CPU Athlon
actually BURNED OUT a motherboard in a Slashdot.  (I'm currently using the
motherboard that replaced that burned out one as my main desktop system.)

In the future when I build more Linux servers for Mid-Pac, dual Athlon
machines would make some real screamers for terminal servers and high
capacity e-mail.  Woo hoo!