successful linux products

lockhart at irtf.ifa.hawaii.edu lockhart at irtf.ifa.hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 23 20:28:59 PST 2002

Sorry, should have been verbose.  I'm looking for examples of companies
that have:
a) produced a software product that runs on Linux (not an actual distro of
Linux itself) and are making profits by either selling that software or
supporting it.
b)as you said, companies that have made products that use an
implementation of linux, embedded systems stuff, etc.

but not companies that sell or support a linux distro or provide support
services for other peoples products, or companies that feel they have
benefitted by using linux in-house.

I keep hearing variations on this phrase "Silicon valley is littered with
the bodies of companies that based their products on Linux".  I'm using
Linux in several of my projects, and plan to use it on more projects in
the future, but none of these are commercial.  However, I'd like to take a
look at companies that have been successful integrating Linux into their
products, and why they made it and others didn't.

-Charles