ZDNet Reviews SuSE 7.3 for ix86

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jan 15 23:14:39 PST 2002

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2838852,00.html

"We installed SuSE 7.3 on 20 different server systems from a variety of
hardware manufacturers, including Sun, IBM, Dell, and Compaq. We also
installed this release on nearly 40 desktop and laptop machines from vendors
such as IBM, Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway, and Micron.  In every instance--on
servers, desktops, and notebooks--SuSE automatically detected and installed
our hardware correctly and configured the graphical environment properly.
SuSE takes care of low-level configuration tasks such as tweaking monitor
settings and defining partition information, but still provides the ability
to modify settings if necessary. Also, we upgraded several machines from
SuSE 7.2 to 7.3; in each case, SuSE's installer promptly found our existing
SuSE installations and performed the OS upgrade flawlessly letting us update
our existing applications and add new ones without incident."

"SuSE Linux 7.3 is well prepared for corporate computing, offering support
for a broad range of server architectures and significant advances in
usability for both administrators and end users. Companies looking for a
solid server platform--and perhaps even a desktop replacement for
Windows--would be well advised to evaluate SuSE 7.3's stellar offerings."