local routing

R Scott Belford sctinc at mac.com
Tue Jan 15 16:38:50 PST 2002

No, Scott, it is not as easy as a simple command line.  This could route
traffic to your lan, but it would be irresponsible to do so without some
kind of a firewall.  What you need is iptables.  This offers NAT and
many other features above what ipchains does.  The thing is, if you
install ipchains and iptables on your redhat 7.x system, you will have
trouble insmodding the iptables.  To get around this in your gui world,
run setup as root and configure the firewall, (can be accessed by
running lokkit also) and set the firewall to none.  A future reboot with
an iptables enabling script will not have the same trouble you had when
the kernel was loading  ipchains.  Using monmotha's firewall/routing
script will teach you some good things and make your life much easier
and safer than any gui can.  In the future RTFM a whole lot more.  The
linuxdoc project has a great article about ip-masquerading as well as
some firewalling  scripts.

Well, it took me a whole lot of time of fiddling around to get to this
point, but sense I asked such a broad and potentially loaded question I
figured I should reply to myself.  I see why I have been told to use
iptables for quite a long time now.  I see why there have been the posts
praising monmotha's script.  Very smooth.  I downloaded ximian's
control-center in search of its routing  gui only to find it missing.  I
was just about to turn port forwarding/firewalling duties over to my
Airport (running some flavor of bsd) when I finally cracked this nut.
If any of you run into this same issue, I might be able to help.

scott