local routing

R. Scott Belford sctinc at mac.com
Mon Jan 14 19:29:38 PST 2002

I am trying to route my wan to my lan within redhat 7.x  In the past I have
used Ximian's internet sharing gui.  However, I am now more man than that.
No, actually I'm not, but I am trying to do it in a more challenging way.

Using linuxconf, it seems that I want to "set routes to alternate local nets"
under the "routing and gateway option."  Here, I have the chance to add what
interface, ip/subnet I want to route the traffic to.  It took a while to get
the system and my lan devices to accept my ip/subnet combination.  Once I
did, though, I don't have any traffic flow.

I have of course set the gateway of my lan devices to the ip of the nic I am
routing the traffic to.  They are using the same subnet, and the lan devices
have ip addresses sequentially higher than the gateway.  The dns settings are
correct.

Am I way off in my choice of linuxconf modules to use?  Any suggestions for
ip addresses to use locally?  My 10.0.1.1/255.255.255.0 or
10.0.1.0/255.255.0.0 are not being accepted.  I tried some of the 192.168.0.1
combinations to no avail.  I understand what needs to be done, but the
computer doesn't take my voice commands.  I know there is some simple (for
some of you) command line instruction that I can enter which routes the
traffic.  I seek this wisdom; can you help?

scott