Sony VAIO FX36 Notebook

epsas at inflicted.net epsas at inflicted.net
Thu Jan 10 14:02:03 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:04:31PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> I got home from the MPLUG seminar on Tuesday night, and my mom totally
> surprised me.  She bought two identical Sony VAIO notebooks, one for me
> and one for herself.  I'm like WHOA.

Wow, nice box.  How about trying an install of Debian?  I think that you might like it. :)  The install may be a little harder, and you may be spending time compiling kernels and "apt-get dist-upgrading", but the end result is definately worth it.

> I want to buy a wireless access point for my house.  Do you folks have
> any recommendations?  I was thinking about the Linksys Cable/DSL router
> 4 port 10/100 switch with wireless AP for about $150 at CompUSA.

I would not get an AP/Router/Switch combo - it is wasted functionality; it will also discourage you from putting a real firewall in front of your router.  Linksys, however, does make a nice, cheap wireless AP/Bridge which could come in handy if you ever need to extend a wireless network.  Make sure that you buy an AP that you can configure via DHCP/bootp or serial port though.

The most important thing:  MAKE SURE YOUR AP HAS AN EXTERNAL ANTENNA! :)

> Any recommendations for PCMCIA wireless cards?  Should I buy 802.11a now
> for forward compatibility, or it costs too much?

I would just get an 802.11b card for now.  I mean, 802.11a is nice, but nobody uses it yet.  802.11b cards are so cheap that atm it would be unwise to buy into a possible compatibility headache.

Good Luck,
Charles