Sony VAIO FX36 Notebook

R Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Thu Jan 10 11:01:21 PST 2002

Nice box, Warren.  Have fun with it.

I would buy the four port linksys switch/router.  They have developed a
reputation for packing the most bang for your buck in the AP's.  They
can be set up as plain AP's, but they can also work as wireless bridges
in a very large deployment.  (This used to be much more expensive to
do)  The switch is good and a hardware update will have you at 128 bit
encryption.  Their pc cards have a poor reputation.  Poor signal quality
mostly. I have experienced this personally and read a good thread about
it recently on /. .  If your are dual booting, linksys does not support
xp (yet) for the wireless pc card you need.  They didn't as of Xmas when
some people needed some help.  Of course the AP could care less about
your OS.

I have been using Apple's airport since early 2000 and have always been
happy with its ability to route my wan to my lan (before I let the linux
box do it), serve as a firewall, and forward port requests to
appropriate lan machines.  The price is far higher than the linksys with
few discernible differences (the airport does have a modem built in).

802.11a vs 802.11b
Will you use all the bandwidth b will afford you, and will you do so
regularly?  Unless you have a really really fast connection or intend to
stream video on your lan wirelessly, I don't see the need to pay more.
I think a had better range, but there are a million antennae hacks for
802.11b.

scott