Japanese on Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 10 03:19:51 PST 2002

It is not difficult to use Japanese input support in Red Hat 7.2, but it is
a little buggy.  Unfortunately there is very little documentation available,
so it took me lots of experimentation to create an easy way of using it.

I created a little script called "ja" that I put into /usr/local/bin
#!/bin/bash
kinput2 -canna &
LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2" $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7

Then I make a menu option "Japanese Mozilla" that launches "ja mozilla".

This allows me to use SHIFT-SPACE to type Japanese into text fields on web
pages.  The interface of kinput2 is similar to but not exactly like Windows
IME.

Japanese input works great in Konqueror, Opera, Netscape, StarSuite 6.0
(StarOffice 6.0 for Japanese), KMail (kinda like Outlook Express), but it is
slightly buggy in Mozilla and very broken in Evolution.