Mandrake on a 486 (was: squirrelmail setup])

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jan 23 23:55:59 PST 2002

> I'm new to the group and have found your email interesing and I love
> it.  I have an old 486 system and just bought an old Gateway with 2 GH
> on the hard drive, I plan to buy a new harddrive to replace this one
> and I'm planning to install Mandrake on it... the person I work with
> is heavily into the Linux and he talked me into using the software.

As far as I know, Mandrake will only work on pentium machines and higher
(for x86).
You may want to look into getting a leaner distribution for a 486
anyway, otherwise it may be somewhat slower than reasonable.

As a side note, when replying to messages on the list, do not quote the
whole message.
(I know it's the default for a quite a few mail clients out there).
 Instead, just quote parts
that are relavent to your message and intermingle them within your
message to keep
things in context.  If none of the message really seems relavent then
consider starting
a new thread instead of replying to an existing one.

P.S. Welcome to the list.

--Ray Strode