[luau] [Fwd: Athlon Comptuer] / Hard Drive

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Sat Dec 28 20:20:14 PST 2002

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Vince Hoang wrote:
>I was replying off of Wayne's description of transparency, which I
>translated as reducing the gotchas in moving away from a windows world.

This is a valid definition.  There are many projects that sees this as
their main goal, i.e. KDE.

>I personally think DHCP setting the hostname is mostly a non-issue, but
>acknowledge that it can confuse the end user, within the context of a
>windows user switching to linux.

Can you elaborate?  Do you mean it's no longer transparent for the user,
and that is why it's confusing?

>Possessing a firewall helps with security. As a side effect, it
>also aids with the transparency issue because you run your own
>DHCP server, so your IP/hostname is even less likely to change.

I agree with the first sentence.  But I'm not sure I understand how the
side effect comes about.  How does a firewall reduce the likelyhood of
changing the hostname?

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org