[luau] [Fwd: Athlon Comptuer] / Hard Drive

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Sat Dec 28 08:33:00 PST 2002

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 11:30:36PM -1000, Jimen Ching wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Vince Hoang wrote:
> >users were educated to invest in a firewall, they would get
> >increased security _and_ transparency.
>
> May I also ask how setting the hostname could decrease
> security and/or transparency? Also, what is your definition of
> transparency and security?

I was replying off of Wayne's description of transparency, which
I translated as reducing the gotchas in moving away from a
windows world.

I personally think DHCP setting the hostname is mostly a
non-issue, but acknowledge that it can confuse the end user,
within the context of a windows user switching to linux.

Having your hostname change does not decrease security.

Possessing a firewall helps with security. As a side effect, it
also aids with the transparency issue because you run your own
DHCP server, so your IP/hostname is even less likely to change.

> These are not rethorical questions. I would really like to know
> if there are security and privacy issues with DHCP. If such
> issues exist, they should be brought up with the IETF working
> group. After all, the link I provided earlier was to a draft
> only.

I do not see any privacy and security issues with DHCP itself.

-Vince