[luau] [Fwd: Athlon Comptuer] / Hard Drive

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Dec 27 23:30:00 PST 2002

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Vince Hoang wrote:
>With respect to transparency, dhcp probably should not be changing the
>hostname by default.

May I ask the reasoning behind this?

>users were educated to invest in a firewall, they would get increased
>security _and_ transparency.

May I also ask how setting the hostname could decrease security and/or
transparency?  Also, what is your definition of transparency and security?

I might as well ask this one also.  How is setting the hostname a
violation of privacy?  What is your definition of privacy?

These are not rethorical questions.  I would really like to know if there
are security and privacy issues with DHCP.  If such issues exist, they
should be brought up with the IETF working group.  After all, the link I
provided earlier was to a draft only.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org