[luau] [Fwd: Athlon Comptuer] / Hard Drive

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Fri Dec 27 22:15:01 PST 2002

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 05:01:07PM -1000, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> Arguments are very healthy to reinvigorate a public forum, but
> are unfair to those (such as myself in this case) who have no
> way of knowing that his/her name is being toasted around.

I certainly welcome open and thoughtful debates. However, when
things do degenerate, it is best to not flame on a public forum
and try to resolve things privately, e.g. E-mail, phone call, or
over a beer. Otherwise take it to usenet. :)

And for repeat offenders, I have a personal preference of
ignoring the [ab]user if it gets intolerable. A short procmail
recipe works wonders to ignore a frustrating user.

> But, again, the issue is not about technical matters --
> RoadRunnder definitely does its job nad has complied with the
> industry standards. My issue is about transparency.

I thought it was about privacy? With respect to transparency,
dhcp probably should not be changing the hostname by default.
I would file that off as a non-critical bug, and see how the
distribution makers want to deal with it. But, if non-technical
users were educated to invest in a firewall, they would get
increased security _and_ transparency.

-Vince