[luau] Duplicating Music CD

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Sun Dec 8 22:11:00 PST 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 07:10:29PM -1000, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> It turns out that either RH 8.0 failed to turn on the setuid
> for cdparanoia, or one of the rpms that I subsequently
> installed turned it off. A simple command "chmod 4744
> cdparanoia" solved the problem. While I still couldn't
> duplicate audio CD directly, I am happy for now.

I think it is a good thing that cdparanoia should not have the
SUID bit set by default. It is one less possible overflow to
worry about. A bit more hassle, but it is worth the security. I
am not current on rpms, but the package manager can default to
no, but prompt to see if you want it SUID. (Debian offers this.)

-Vince