[luau] Duplicating Music CD

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon Dec 9 07:20:01 PST 2002

Most distros, RH included, now offer a number of "security" options
during installation.  Only a moron OS (i.e., Linux) would require root
privilege to copy a CD by default at "standard" security.  :-)

When you run xcdroast for the first time as a non-root, it will prompt
you to log in as root, to change its configuration in order to allow
non-noot users.  But for some reason, the Red Hat version of xcdroast
rpm only turns on the setuid bit for cdda2wav, but not cdparanoia.  This
is where the problem arose.

Point to be taken: Don't just give someone a Linux CD and expect him/her
to fall in love with it.  It is important to accumulate experience.  You
will be surprised how much just a small modification (from the stock
distro) can to do improve its image.

Peace!