[luau] Duplicating Music CD

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Sun Dec 8 19:07:00 PST 2002

It turns out that either RH 8.0 failed to turn on the setuid for
cdparanoia, or one of the rpms that I subsequently installed turned it
off.  A simple command "chmod 4744 cdparanoia" solved the problem.
 While I still couldn't duplicate audio CD directly, I am happy for now.

 From my experience, cdparanoia is a much better audio CD ripping
program than cdda2wav.  With the former, I consistly get a ripping rate
of about 2.5~2.8x; whereas, the latter only gives me at best 1.4x
(sometimes it even went below 1x).

I would really appreciate it if other Linux users can also post their
experience on various annoyances.  If it gets crowed here, I'll be more
than happy to find an alternate host.